Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Genesis 48-49

Genesis 48
Last night, I wrote about this chapter and it was super touching and awesome. And I saved it, I really did. I think. Anyway, to prevent myself from becoming boring, I'm just going to tell you that Jacob does a really unusual thing, and gives his younger grandson blessing over the older. It's super touching for them, seeing as Jacob is ill. 
I'm not about to rewrite my whole entry, I'm sorry. SO ONTO

Genesis 49
These blessings are so odd. They really feel more like prophecies to me. I can't exactly figure whether Jacob is prophesying for his sons, or if he's wishing these things upon him. 
Reuben, Simeon, and Levi don't get the greatest blessings. If I was any of their brothers, I would be afraid to hear mine. I can imagine the whispers among siblings: "alright, who decided to piss off dad on blessing day?" 
However, Judah's life looks much less formidable. His dad tells him that his brothers will bow to him, and he'll have enough wine to wash his clothes in. This is glorious. I love Judah, and his excellent character reminds me that God does give us rewards for the character we display in this lifetime. So often, we hear that we're storing up treasure in Heaven, and this is true. This concept, though, is so often discouraging to me, because I don't want to wait that long. God gets that. Thus, every moment of joy comes from He who loves us. 
Jake says Zebulun will live on the seashore. I imagine him on the port of Maine, but I genuinely have no idea why. (Maybe because I'm obsessed with Maine.) 
In the bible, turbulent waters are also used as a metaphor for life's problems. If we extend the metaphor to Zebulun being a safe haven for ships, that suggests that he guides others to the light of Jesus, much in the way a lighthouse would. 
Unfortunately, Issachar's life sounds full of manual labor. Which sucks. 
Dan's blessing confuses me a wee bit. Will he provide justice, or be "a viper along the path?" I can't figure how he's both, but obviously I don't know everything. 
Gad will be attacked but won't fall, and Asher may as well be called Rachel Ray. (Genesis 49:20)
Naphtali's blessing is my favorite, because it's so beyond beautiful. Read it; it's only one line. 
I would tell you how gorgeous of lives Joseph and Ben were blessed with, but we see God there nonstop. And I have an NHS meeting at 7:45 in the morning and it's 11:00. 
In the last few verses, Jacob is reunited with his wife, Leah, his parents, and his great-grandparents. "When Jacob had finished giving instructions to his sons, he drew his feet up into the bed, breathed his last and was gathered to his people." (Genesis 49:33 NIV)
And what a gorgeous life he lived with God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment