Monday, October 11, 2010

One Homicide too Many

This year, we have come dangerously close to having the largest number of murders in the history of Flint, ever. At a staggering number of 53 in 2010, we're still quite dangerous.
It amazes me, though, how unafraid the people in my city are. People walk to school every day. They will walk blocks, without a thought of what's going to happen to them.
Normally, people outside of Flint exaggerate us. They say it's dangerous- and yes, it is. But Michigan? We're not that dangerous.
I understand completely that 53 homicides is 53 too many. And I'm sorry, to all the families who've lost someone this year. I understand. I've lost more people than I can remember to cancer. Maybe cancer isn't a cold-blooded murderer, but it hurts the same.
I'm proud of our city. I am, even now. We understand that some among us are... volatile, and yet there are so many good people here. I hate our bad reputation. It's a stereotype, a judgement call. It's different when you live here.
My life is good today. I'm wearing my friend's hot pink wristband for Breast Cancer Awareness, as are many other people in our school. This week is actually quite eventful. Or, at least, the weekend is.
Friday, there's a Powers Game I'm going to. In fact, I believe it's the last one. Then, Saturday morning, I have a basketball game, which is always fairly enjoyable. Saturday evening, I have a dance, which I'm on the committee for. And then Sunday, I'm going to support my school's football team at their last game.
Yeah, that's right. It's all happening in the worst city in America.
Note the sarcasm.
Have a miraculous Monday. (shoutout to Charlie Brown! xD)
Let it Glee.

3 comments:

  1. who says miraculous monday
    how about magic monday
    whats so bad about homocides

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should I come up to sjv for the Halloween thing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isi, I always enjoy reading your insights. I appreciate your enthusiasm for a city that so many discuss with disdain. So glad the poison hasn't reached you as well.
    FrownieGirl

    ReplyDelete