Monday, May 9, 2011

(Quite Possibly) The Best Week of my Life

You know who's cool? Dale Kildee. I do not work to make this blog apolitical. However, I am a naive child and do not know where he stands in relation to the Republicans vs. Democrats. I had the pleasure to chill with him in Washington DC. He chose to hang out with us instead of Mr. President. Which, I must say, made me feel pretty special.
There's something about spending about 24 hours on a bus with people. Try it sometime. You might be surprised what you learn about some people. It's even easier to learn things when the people are high in quantity, like we were, and all armed with cell phones and iPods.
Needless to say, I learned a lot. Not only about people, either. I learned about history. I learned about how easy it really is to make people happy. I learned to trust more easily. I learned to keep my guard down, and see who will take the effort to let themselves inside.
I made friends in DC. I made friends, or at least friendly, with people I've never spoken to before. My relationships were tested and strengthened. I grew in love. I gave endless compliments, and reminded those who needed to be about how awesome they are.
Because everyone there was amazing. I got to know everyone just a little bit better. Or a lot better, depending on who they were.
I think it would be smart for the judges to go to Washington DC together. All of them. Not the court officials, but those who "call it as they see it." Because maybe, just maybe, they'd learn that people aren't always as they seem.
Perhaps that would be the way to shake Flint's bad reputation. Maybe then, they'd learn to stop labelling people "bad" or "good." Life isn't black and white. Losers aren't only losers, backstabbers aren't only backstabbers. Intelligent people have more to bring to the picture than their smarts.
So get to know someone. I did. And that's one thing that I can never repay DC for giving me.

No comments:

Post a Comment