Friday, September 9, 2011

In the Beginning...

Wow. 
A new school year has yet again arrived. I've been attending for about 2 weeks now, and am thoroughly overwhelmed. This could be for several reasons. 
1. It's high school. This is normal.
2. I guess I'm slightly intelligent. Therefore, I decided to be ambitious and sign up for all advanced classes. 
3. I'm in the marching band. Two 3-hour rehearsals every evening does not give me any wiggle room for homework. 
4. Lack of an outlet. Believe it or not, all the things that de-stress me require more than 5 minutes before bed. Like writing this blog, like reading a magazine, like painting my nails.
So I become... stressed. 
But this is only the beginning, teachers tell me. Upperclassmen warn me; it only gets more difficult as time goes on. 
However. 
I am surviving, aren't I? I'm writing from the Media Center during my study hall. It's not easy, but I'm here, Fresh, and alive. 
I have formed a few mere ideas about this place. 
People care, here. No matter if it is in the middle of Flint, dead-set in the ghetto. People care. Not that I
know that many people yet, because I don't. And not that I even know that many people's names, because I don't. But even the Seniors that I'm absolutely terrified are going to point me in the direction of my next class, if I ask them. 
Groups are as solid and clique-y as Alison and the Pretty Little Liars. They stick together, naturally, and let virtually nobody in. It's intimidating. Yes, I have people from my school in some of my classes, but at moments, it's just me. And I don't know who I can approach, it seems like nobody really wants me around. 
But I don't think that's true. I think everyone, surely, must be as insecure and worried as I am. 
We're Freshmen, after all. 
Homecoming. That's in about a month. I don't know if I want to go yet. Everyone's saying I should, it would be fun, I'd love it, I don't have to take a date. 
I don't necessarily want to take a date. But I'd wanna go with some dude as friends maybe. I don't know. Or maybe a group of people. 
Would that be better? 
I do love dressing up. Dresses are lovely. I can try dresses and only dresses on for hours at a time. 
I can't really dance, though. So I don't know. 
Okay, I get it. None of you care about whether or not I want to go to Homecoming. In fact, you care almost as much as the Seniors sitting in the opposite corner of this library do. 
You want to hear about Flint. 
There were tons of sirens last night. My mom kept noting it. You might think that that would scare the living daylights out of me. 
If you think that, you are incorrect. 
I want to live in New York, people. If I can't deal with a couple sirens as I'm heading off to sleep, then I would never survive. 
I cannot live a life of fear. I highly advise that you don't either. 
There's so much beauty in Flint. If you're too scared to go there, you will never experience any of it. Open your mind, please, for just 5 seconds. 
I live in this city. I wake up here every morning, eat breakfast, and go to school here. I practice my clarinet and march in the parking lot and football field. 
The simply gorgeousness of this place does not get old. 
Guys, this is beauty! And this, right here, is what life is about. 
Finding the beautiful in something that has imperfections. 
So don't be afraid to come here. Really. 

No comments:

Post a Comment