Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mindless Chatter

Everyone is gearing up for homecoming. And I mean everyone. Some people haven't been asked, others have been asked multiple times by multiple people. (Though I fall into the first category, I do not plan on holding a pity party anytime soon.
It doesn't feel all that great, to be completely and totally honest and vulnerable. But that's alright. I have my fun on stumbleupon.com anyway.
The amazing thing about Homecoming is the noise. I mean, my school's homecoming isn't for 3 weeks still, and people don't stop talking about it. 10 minutes after someone is asked, absolutely everyone in the entire school knows about it.
Conclusions are drawn, assumptions are made, and that's that. People talk, whisper, throw notes, mouth words across the classroom.
Nobody's quiet about it.
Because, really, let's face it. Homecoming is not a private business. It exists as a social event that everyone goes to, everyone hears about, and everyone makes little inside jokes there. Everyone dresses up, everyone dances. It's Homecoming. It's what everyone does.
Why can't the dates be private? Well, this is highschool. Nothing is really too private. I have yet to decide whether I like this or not.
But Homecoming. Admittedly, even I'm looking forward to it. I love the dresses. No, I cannot dance. I'm bad, even for a white girl.
I will, though. I will dance barefoot amongst the crowd.
Maybe.
I decided to comprise a list of the cutest ways people were asked thus far at my school.

One guy had the person reading the announcements call to the office the girl he was going to ask. In the window, he stood there in a suit, holding a bouquet of roses, and a little sign that said "Homecoming?".

Another taped arrows down the hallway to his girlfriend's locker, where a collage of pictures of them was, as well as a sign with the words: "Will you go to Homecoming with me?" on it.

Different guy wrote "HC?" on every page of a girl's flip folder, then signed it on the last page.

Others cover girls' lockers with sticky notes spelling things out.

Yes, this is highschool. Yes, everyone freaks out about these little romantic acts. And that is not an exaggeration. People just make so much chatter about it. I'm guilty of this as well, unfortunately.
So I don't really know how I feel about Homecoming. I don't know if I really even want to go. You could say I'm a little nervous about the prospect.
But it's Homecoming, for Heaven's sake. I certainly can't miss it..

No comments:

Post a Comment