Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Just one Wish

I'm making 1000 cranes.
In Reading class, we read the story of Sadako, the 9-year-old girl with leukemia. It's a tragic tale, and I'll give you a summary. It was based off of a true story.
When America dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, diseases infiltrated the country and people. The sicknesses showed up months and even years later. Sadako's dream was to run. When she ran, she flew. But after several dizzy spells, she was diagnosed with leukemia.
Sadako died. But not after attempting to gain a wish from the gods by making 1000 cranes.
The legend goes as follows: a crane lives for 1000 years. If a sick person makes 1000 cranes, then the gods will grant her wish and make her well.
I'm not sick. Not today. I mean, there are allergies and crap with spring approaching quickly, but I still want to see if it works. Plus, I want a wish.
So far, I'm made 72 cranes. Only 928 left to go. I'm keeping a positive attitude, seeing as I'll be done in about 3-4 months. It's not too hard anymore, just folding paper. I've become an expert of sorts, and have made them out of old calendars, magazines, M&M wrappers, etc. Even tissue paper with glitter on it, quite randomly.
I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to wish for yet. Maybe just more wishes. But if that didn't work, and the "gods" didn't fall for that trick, making 1000 cranes would just be a giant waste of time.
I have so many things I could wish for.
I could wish for M to come back, by some miracle.
I could wish for some important thing would happen in my life.
I could wish for a bestseller - one that I wrote.
Or maybe, just maybe, I could spend my wish on something my followers have inspired me to do, and make a wish for Flint.
I just get one wish, after all. For Flint, I'd wish for education, and for happier and more wealthy people. I'd wish for more jobs and everyone to earn an honest living.
I'd wish for the happiness of the people.
I know that sounds cliched, but still.
Love you guys.
Let it Glee.

No comments:

Post a Comment