Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Warmth of the Cold

Here in Flint, the air is becoming even colder. The temperature is going to take some dramatic nosedives soon, as the ever-reliable weather ball tells us. 
Last week, we had our first snow. 
I usually dislike winter the most out of all the seasons, but this year is different. 
The cold is comforting to me, like "Oh, Christmas really is coming soon to deliver me from the stress and worries of school!" 
No, but really. I can't wait. 
Today I put up my Christmas decorations. Don't ask me why it's taken me so long to get around to it. There really is no acceptable answer. Christmas is the jolliest time of the year, so there's no point in waiting to celebrate, right? 
The Christmas tree is standing in the archway between 2 of our rooms. This means that my family can now get a glimpse of the tree on just about every room on the main floor. It's covered in lights and ornaments that look like they were made by a two year old, because they were. 
Our banister is wrapped in two kinds of tinsel, and holly. Poinsettias are everywhere. Nativity scene out, Advent calendar up. 
It's Christmas. Why not. 
All these things are so incredibly heartwarming. In fact, they're so heartwarming that the warmth is spreading from my heart to the rest of my organs, to my muscles, to my face, to my life. 
It may be getting colder, but it's also getting so much warmer, everywhere one might look. 
The beauty of Christmas is ever-present even in Flint. 
Even in the worst city in America in sense of crime, we see the Salvation Army people ringing their bells. Yes, sometimes they give us dirty looks when we put in change. 
Not the point. 
This Christmas inside me is visible everywhere. And this joy- this is what Christmas is all about! Yes, it's about Jesus, but what did he bring, and what did he want us to have more than anything? 
Allow me to make this crystal clear. 
Jesus wanted us to be happy. 
That's why He was born. 
That's why He died. 
That's why He rose. 
He did it for us, so that we could have the greatest joy of all- not just the joy of Christmas, but the joy of eternal life. 
He is the warmth in the cold of Michigan winters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment