Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Genesis 15

Genesis 15
I often forget how awesome of a reward God is. We spend our lives often looking for love and fullness from other people, and when we're able to feel that in its entirety from the creator of the universe - is there anything truly better? 
I think Abram felt the same way. He was concerned with the whole "inheritance situation," and seemed to think God was going to do nothing about it. But at the same time, I think his honesty with himself and God was admirable. It allowed God to relieve Abram of the situation, and to promise away his worries and fears. 
Imagine the night. This happened so long ago that no lights truly disrupted the glory and magnificence that is the night sky. When Abram looked up with God, I'm sure the sight was staggering. 
As numerous as the stars. I have no doubt that Abram doubted this at times. How can one go from childless, to galaxies' worth of children? But Abram believed God more than he doubted him, and the visual reminder of the stars must have brought him great peace. I imagine he laid in his eno before he went to sleep and just looked up for a while. Maybe now and then he tried to count the stars before his eyes finally gave up and he fell asleep. 
Abram is also reminded that the land will be his and his children's, but seems to doubt this even mo than the concept of children themselves. When he asks God for a sign, God gives him one. 
I wonder why the "thick and dreadful darkness" was necessary. Seeing as one of my spiritual gifts is joy, I have a real issue with darkness. As in, I don't wasn't any in my soul or heart or life. (I'm not talking about physical darkness here. Nighttime is the greatest.) 
God tells Abram the big picture of his plan, which I think is awesome but sometimes uncommon. More often, we get little instructions or jobs to do, with the knowledge that above all, we should trust the one who formed us, because his plan is so much better than mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment