Monday, August 19, 2013

Genesis 7

The first thing that throws me off about this passage is the command for seven pairs. Does anyone tell this story with seven pairs of any animal? Every version I've ever read indicates that Noah took the animals two-by-two. 
I am once again amazed at Noah's incredible faith. The fact that he did everything God commanded him to do, without anything more than a command from God to base it around, is incredible. I would think it would be so easy to doubt, and to hesitate to follow what God was telling him to do, especially since it was so radical. How many of us have a hard time listening and following God with the basic things? "And Noah did all that the Lord commanded him. (Genesis 7:5 NIV)"
Let's also remember that Noah was about 600. So he's getting up there. I can't help but think that's perhaps years were measured differently; but regardless, he was an old man. 
In verse 9, we're reminded that the animals came to Noah. He didn't have to go looking for them. They just showed up, and he had facilities for them. 
I love when God does this. He always prepares us, and then he does something we could never have done on our own. If we follow his instructions, I feel like it would be so easy for us. It seemed to be for Noah. All he had to do was make an ark; God would go ahead and fill it for him. 
The last part of verse 16 reads:
"Then The Lord shut him in." 
I think Noah was afraid here. I would be terrified. Just imagine for a moment that you've spent months building this ridiculous ark, and then seeing it be filled to the brim with animals you had no idea existed. Then, as it starts to POUR, running with your family into the ark for cover for a moment - and the door shut behind you. I think it would be scary. 
However, I imagine they prayed away the doubts as a family, and then went around to care for the animals. And I don't know why I think all that, except for that it would be a completely appropriate human reaction. 
This is Mount Everest. It's about 29,029 feet, or roughly 5.5 miles tall. It's visible for 209 miles all around. This mountain is not a new phenomena; but it was covered by the flood. 
"The waters rose and covered the mountains to a depth of more than fifteen cubits. (Genesis 7:20 NIV)"
I think the weight of that is remarkable. 
It goes on to say that everything died. I'm curious as to what happened to all the corpses. I realize this is a morbid question, but it is a real one. I suppose in reality it doesn't matter, though. Only to know that God took care of it. He always does. 

1 comment: