Sunday, August 18, 2013

Genesis 2-6

Genesis 2
I wonder what God did on his day off. Did he just sit and admire his handiwork?
I think it noteworthy that God made Eve for Adam. Like the most suitable companion for man was a woman. And she wasn't the only companion, she was simply the best. But it helps me understand and get the whole "marriage is for a man and woman" argument a bit more. 
Weird how she was both the best and worst thing for him. Like God made her because there was nothing that would make Adam happier, but she ended up leading to his downfall. 

Genesis 3
crafty: adj. skillful in underhand or evil schemes; cunning; deceitful; sly. ingenious; dexterous.
Before they ate of the tree, they wouldn't die. Like they would genuinely live forever. "but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’ ” (Genesis 3:3 NIV)" this passage indicates that if they didn't eat it, they wouldn't die. 
The realization that they were naked could also be a metaphor for internal vulnerability. They put up a barrier between themselves and God in more than a physical way. They tried to protect and control their own emotions and circumstances, rather than being vulnerable enough to let God do it. 
"The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them. (Genesis 3:21 NIV)" 
Does God not always provide? He just got slapped in the face by his favorite part of all creation and before punishing them, he helps them deal with their sin and insecurity in a better way than what they had done. They made garments of leave, the God of the universe made them leather clothes. That's so incredible to me. 
I feel like all of us are a little like Eve in a way. We all want to know what's really going on; we all eat the fruit. We press people to tell us what's going on and wheedle information out of them; and then we find out and are either disappointed or unimpressed. Is it not better sometimes to just be okay with not knowing? 

Genesis 4
I think I'll probably always wonder why God didn't like Cain's offering. It feels unfair to me. He gave what he could, and yet God didn't approve. My only reasoning would be the concept that God knew Cain's heart, and that he would kill Abel, and that bitterness was inside of him. Other than that, I can't think of a viable reason for God to dislike what was offered to him. 
God asks Cain where Abel is, but does He not already know? Of course he does! Then he must be asking simply to remind Cain of the severity of his actions. That would be my guess. 
"Today you are driving me from the land, and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me.” (Genesis 4:14 NIV)"
This statement says so much. But the one line I want to point out is the second one: "and I will be hidden from your presence." Because Cain, again, is mistaken. God, even in his sin, promises protection in the next lines. 
"But the Lord said to him, “Not so; anyone who kills Cain will suffer vengeance seven times over.” Then the Lord put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him. (Genesis 4:15 NIV)"
He protects us even AFTER we sin. He may allow punishment to come on us, but he never forsakes us. 
Why should Lamech be avenged more than Cain? Is he just arrogant, and thinking his life is worth more? 
And Seth was born, because Jesus could never come from the line of Lamech and Cain. I feel like Seth is kind of a miracle, such a blessing and wonder to Adam and Eve. They must have felt as though two sons were dead instead of just one, and Seth gave them their life back. 
"At that time, people began to call upon the name of The Lord." 
May we follow their lead, and when the world gets ugly, may we call upon the name of The Lord. 

Genesis 5
I never like these genealogies in the bible. I never like get a real sense of anything from them; they seem very much to be purely factual. 
I guess the main part that sticks out to me, though I have heard it before, is that we were created in the likeness of God. I must imagine this was fun for Him. Perhaps he rolled up his sleeves and said "alright, if I were to exist on earth, what would I look like? What abilities and physicality would I have?" And then he made us. Crafted to his immense pleasure, more proud of our beauty than I am of my sims'. Then, as if being covered with his fingerprints wasn't enough, he blessed them, and gave them everything on the earth for their enjoyment. 
The last thing that pops out at me is that all 3 of Noah's children came at the same time. Does that mean they were triplets? Because that would be a precious thought.

Genesis 6
I think God's initial disappointment in this chapter was less about specifically marriage, and more about the lack of people walking with him. God intended for marriage to exist, but he wanted to be part of it, too. So when "the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose (Genesis 6:2 NIV)," God decided to take action to remind the world from whom it came. 
I admittedly do not really know what Nephilim are. Some studies suggest that they're giants, made from relations between fallen angels and humans. Actually, the Message Bible states them as that. I find the Sethite likely, also; this concept is simply that they are the fallen children that sought false gods in the line from Adam to Noah. If you're still interested, here's a link: 

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/aid/v2/n1/who-were-the-nephilim

I wanted to point out that I think the world at that time must have been in a much greater state of disillusionment that it is today. "The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. (Genesis 6:5 NIV)" Today, I don't know of a single soul who only thinks of evil. Which I'm beyond glad for. Plus, this concept is reinforced by how very much God adores us. To feel the need to wipe his most precious creations from the face of the earth- the only conclusion I come to is that he was sparing us the pain of living in a world and living a life that would never be fulfilling. Again, it wasn't wrath; it was mercy. 
I don't think Noah was perfect by any means. I think God simply must have seen that more goodness existed in him than anyone else on earth, and he had brought his family that light as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment