Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Genesis 30

I love the start to this chapter, because it's so absolutely relatable. Girls, including myself, have a tendency to go a little over the top in terms of being dramatic. Rachel is a prime example. 
"Give me children or I'll die!" 
First of all, though they probably didn't know this at the time, they couldn't just say "give me kids" and decide that the physical-ness of it would work out. That last sentence didn't make a lot of sense but you know what I mean. The ability to have babies is out of their control. 
Since they didn't get that, I totally get Rachel's jealousy. She probably thought Jacob was having more kids with Leah because he loved her more. Which is really funny in a way, because its the opposite of true. Jacob loved Rachel so much. 
We do this all the time with Jesus. We spend so much time looking at what other people have that we lose sight of the undeniable fact that we are loved beyond all comprehension. 
I'm not just talking about physical things, either. How often do we think "oh, I wish I had as many friends as that person!" or "if only I packed that great of a lunch for myself today." 
It's such a cliche, but I'm all for counting our blessings. That's part of doing my daily Jesus sightings. (Today, he was everywhere. He filled a car with balloons for one of my friends to be asked to homecoming, and he made my guacamole extra great at lunch. Jesus made me on time to class, and was whispered in compliments to my sock bun, as well as the word "splendid" on the afternoon announcements.)
When we practice seeing him everywhere, we have a tendency to think a bit more about how crazy he is about us. 
I'm sure there's something you can read into the section about all their children and their awesome namesakes, but I didn't. I just got that they're having lots of babies now, and Jacob has more women that he's fertilizing: his wives' servants. 
Rachel and Leah I think act weird about the whole concept of sharing Jacob. The fact that Rachel sold a night with her husband to her sister wife in exchange for some mandrakes is beyond me. 
I don't personally love verse 22, because of the phraseology: "then God remembered Rachel." I don't like this because I know that he never forgets us. We're always on his mind. I think it's more of a word choice sort of thing, though. It's not like a major faith-changing mistake. 
I love that God healed Rachel from whatever infertility thing she had going and gave her a little baby. I cannot imagine her joy. And Rachel responds the way all of us do when she gets this blessing: "Yay God, thank you! Now can I have more?" 
Oh, humanity. We are something else. 
Rachel didn't even have to ask for God's blessings to keep pouring out though. As shown in the rest of this chapter, God made Jake quick as a whip. Jacob helps his family, and devised this complex sheep-breeding plan that I don't know how to explain exactly. 
My Jesus sightings are always a little obscure. By that, I simply mean that I often see Jesus in places the average person wouldn't. And yes, I do see Jesus in a sheep-breeding plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment