Saturday, September 21, 2013

Genesis 40-41

Genesis 40
Most people don't know this about me, but I'm obsessed with dreams. I ask my carpool every morning first if they slept well, and second, if they had any dreams. (9 times out of 10, the answer is no, but I imagine they probably just want me to shut up. Still, that 1 time is what keeps me asking.)
I'm convinced that dreams mean something. And this passage totally backs me up. 
Two of the Pharaoh's employees get put in Joe's jail. One is a baker, and one is a cupbearer. If anyone knows what a cupbearer is, feel free to let me know. Anyway, it's Joseph's responsibility to take care of these guys, and to make sure they don't get into any trouble. 
Both guys have a dream on the same night. This is perhaps a God thing in itself, because whenever I ask people, two people never have a dream on the same day. It's kind of lame. 
I often interpret my own dreams - is that normal, or is that a special skill? And why didn't they try to figure it out on their own? Joe, however, interprets their dreams for them. 
The chief cupbearer, after being told his exciting and happy future, promises to remember Joseph when he's back in power. And then the baker proceeds to tell his dream, hoping it might be just as joyful. 
The intensity of Joe's gift here is incredible. The fact that he can say "he will impale your body on a pole" and it would actually happen is so beyond human. It's such an accurate interpretation. 
It makes me a little sad to hear that the cupbearer whose life turns around forgets joseph. 
& RIP Head Baker. 

Genesis 41
Oh goodness. I know I just said this, but I love how God works through dreams. He's working even when we're asleep. 
Cheers to the cupbearer for finally remembering Joseph, who gave him his dream interpretation so long ago. His apology is gorgeous: today I am reminded of my shortcomings. I know he's not talking to God when he said that, but I think I want to incorporate that into my evening prayers. Because I think that's really all God wants to hear, in terms of us apologizing and feeling guilty. Mostly, he wants us to be fulfilled, and spread love. Not beat ourselves up with extraneous apologies. Today, I am reminded of my shortcomings. 
Pharaoh calls for Joe, and I'm sure it was nice to get cleaned up. I mean, can you imagine? Years of prison life washed off with a fresh shave and a change of clothes. Joseph looked like a new man, headed for an interview with the president of Google. 
And yet, he maintains this rare humility when he finally meets Pharaoh. 
“I cannot do it,” Joseph replied to Pharaoh, “but God will give Pharaoh the answer he desires.” (Genesis 41:16 NIV)
Joseph could have taken credit for the interpretations. Truly, he could have. He probably would have gotten famous, and become a world-wide dream interpreter. But rather, he glorified the one that gave him the gift of interpretation. 
Joe explains that they're going to have seven years to stuff their faces, and then seven years to work off all the weight. (Seven of feasting, and seven of famine.) In case that wasn't impressive enough, Joseph also takes the oppurtunity to pitch a business plan - an idea to save the country from ambition. This plan must have been God-designed, because how else could he come up with it so quickly? 
I imagine Pharaoh was overwhelmed. I would be. Maybe that's part of the reason he puts Joe in charge of Egypt. Either way, God provided for Joseph here in a gorgeous way. It really shows the dynamic of a true relationship with God; Joseph trusted wholeheartedly that God would take care of him, and God did just that. 
He went from being bullied by his brothers, to essentially leading Egypt. How much more can we do? Joseph's life rocked, and he walked it with God. Guys, I want that. I want to be so in touch with God that I don't worry about things, because I know that I'm being taken care of at every moment. I mean, I know that - I just don't know that I always feel it. It's something I can definitely improve upon. 
Joseph and his wife have a couple babies, because babies are the coolest. 
Then the famine starts. 
People expect it to be horrible, far-reaching, and deadly. But thanks to God, with Joseph as his hands and feet, all of Egypt and the rest of the world are saved from potential destruction. 
So why wouldn't we trust Him? 

No comments:

Post a Comment