Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Genesis 43

Honestly, it comes as no surprise to me that the brothers were so easily fooled. Think of how we behave with a guilty conscience. 
One time, when I was about 8, my brother and I were sharing the passenger seat in my dad's convertible. A police car pulled up behind us, and my dad, brother, and I simultaneously had a panic attack. Colton and I, at my dad's urging, oozed onto the floor of the car in a puddle of tears, in vain hope that the cop wouldn't see us. My dad, after engaging in a short-lived police chase, pulled over and nearly started hyperventilating. The policeman got out of his SUV, and walked over to our convertible. 
So of course it was no wonder that Joe's brothers were unsuspicious of all the questions Joe asked. They had sold their brother into slavery - their guilty conscience made them susceptible to attacks, and got them into even more trouble. Guilt is the worst. I don't know if there's anything that separates us from God in a more effective way. Well, I'll speak for myself. I feel the farthest from Jesus when I spend any time at all feeling guilty. He didn't die so I could feel bad about the mistakes I make every single day.
Thankfully, Judah swears to take good care of Benjamin on their excursion back to Egypt. He points out again that it's necessary, seeing as their families are starving, and offers to be held accountable. That's admirable. 
So Jacob gives them some bribes to pass along, as well as his good wishes and their baby brother. 
When they get to Egypt, Joe sees them. He gets so excited. (This reminds me of the father in the prodigal son.) Joe tells the steward of the house to prep a meal for his brothers and himself to celebrate at noon. 
Joe's brothers have the same fear I did when the cop walked up to the car window. They assumed they were going to get in trouble for something, whether they did it or not. Their consciences were wrecking them. 
The brothers begin to apologize to Joseph, and offer up their bribes and meek attitudes. Joseph forgives all,and brings out their brother Simeon to them, whom he took captive previously. Joe's mer y doesn't stop there. He has his steward provide for all of their various needs, and all their donkeys' needs. Then, when he finally sees Benjamin, he is moved to tears. Remember, Joe loved his brothers more than anyone on the planet. Even though they broke his heart and sent them away, Joe treated them with a loving kindness that moves me. I want to be like that. 
Lastly, because food is one of my favorite gifts that God has given us, they feast. They bond and laugh and I imagine they drink a touch too much wine. And Joseph's brothers, without even realizing it, realize that they got two brothers back that night. The wounds of the past were mended. 
When the police officer came to the car door, he laughed at the sight of us with a laugh that was beyond familiar to me. Tears streaming from my eyes still, he apologized for scaring us, and smiled at us warmly. 
It was my friend's dad. He wasn't there to give us a ticket, or to take my daddy to jail - he was there to tell us hello, and to make the world a little brighter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment