Saturday, September 14, 2013

Genesis 33-34

Genesis 33
The emotional depth in this chapter is so awesome. Jacob was terrified of Esau - he looked up and saw this army along with Esau, so he set up this little defense of his own, and humbled himself to the position of a servant for his brother. 
The reunion was nothing like Jacob expected. God had changed Jacob in his time with Laban, but God also worked in the heart of Esau. Esau didn't miss his birthright, or the blessing Jacob had. 
He just missed Jacob. 
And so after they cried for a few moments, and hugged for longer than I'm sure they would like to admit, Jake introduced his family and livestock, presenting much of his flock as a gift to his brother. 
At first, Esau refuses to take it. He already has tons of stuff, what use does he have for more? But Jacob insists, and his brother humbly and begrudgingly accepts. 
I love Jacob's line in verse 10: “No, please!” said Jacob. “If I have found favor in your eyes, accept this gift from me. For to see your face is like seeing the face of God, now that you have received me favorably." (Genesis 33:10 NIV)
For to see your face is like seeing the face of God, now that you have received me favorably. 
I get this feeling so well. I love to see God in other people - most the time, it's in a kind action they though was unnoticed, or a tweet that made my day, or simply in a really welcoming reception of me. People are the vessel of God, and His light shines through us in the most glorious way. 
Lastly, when Jake and Esau part ways, Jacob's faith is stronger than ever before. Esau offers men as protection and help, and I love Jake's answer. 
“But why do that?” Jacob asked. “Just let me find favor in the eyes of my lord.” (Genesis 33:15 NIV)
And, per usual, Jacob does indeed find favor because of his great faith. 

Genesis 34
When it talks about Dinah going to visit the women of the land, I sort of picture like a soul trip. Eat-Pray-Love sort of thing, where she goes to figure out life and the sort of woman she wants to be. I read Eat Pray Love, I admit. It's my favorite book, actually. It sort of changed my life, even though I read it when I was 13. So the connotation for this sort of trip for Dinah was exciting for me- like "wow, she's going to have such a great time of growth!" 
But no. Shechem raped her. 
Rape is probably my least favorite sin. Honestly, it's harder for me to accept than even murder. It turns my stomach in a really powerful way. Verse 3 I can't help but feel is incorrect: 
"His heart was drawn to Dinah daughter of Jacob; he loved the young woman and spoke tenderly to her." (Genesis 34:3 NIV)
Here's an idea. Then maybe you shouldn't have raped her. Rape in no way ever resembles love to me. Ever. 
I have a dad and a brother, and I know how they would react if I got raped. It would be exactly the way Dinah's family reacted. My dad and brother are two of the most awesome, God-fearing people I know, but they would burn with anger. Anyone would. If one of my friends was raped, I can't imagine what I'd do. It's horrific. 
Can you imagine, then, the rapist appealing to the family for the rapee? He wants to keep her now. What an absolute nightmare. 
So Jacob and Sons act on their humanity, as many of us would. They say all the men in their area have to be circumcised. 
This is a tiny bit righteous to me, though I definitely shouldn't see it as such. 
So all the guys in town get the little surgery and are in pain for days because Shechem just had to have this girl. And while they're all nursing their wounds, Jake's son go through town and slaughter all the guys. And they take the women and livestock as loot. 
That's for our sister. 
I could go on a whole little tangent about how taking the women of the unsuspecting city is just as morbid as what Shechem did to Dinah, but I'll save it. You get the point. 
Jacob, surprisingly, isn't too pleased with their actions. 
"Then Jacob said to Simeon and Levi, “You have brought trouble on me by making me obnoxious to the Canaanites and Perizzites, the people living in this land. We are few in number, and if they join forces against me and attack me, I and my household will be destroyed.” (Genesis 34:30 NIV)
Oh, man. But Levi and Simeon have a gorgeous response, and they feel totally justified. 
But they replied, “Should he have treated our sister like a prostitute?” (Genesis 34:31 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment