Sunday, October 18, 2009

Ragtime Playing in the Background...

Behind every face you see is a story.
If I told you Coalhouse Walker was shot dead, you wouldn't know what to make of it, would you?
What if I told you he was in love? He loved Sara? And they had a son? He was shot because he retaliated to the people who killed his love. And because he was black.
I saw Ragtime today. It was beautifully sad and terribly amazing. It changed perspective, you know? So many people are racially clustered because they're black. (I use the word "black" not because I'm a racist jerk, but because it's simpler to understand for me to understand than African-American. Don't ask why.)
I suspect about half or more of Flint's population is black. I love it. We are racially diverse. And I've grown up with African-Americans. They are just like you and I. Not that ANYONE ever said they weren't.
But Ragtime changed the way I see it. We need to stop judging people because of their outward appearance. Now.
May the story of Coalhouse and Sara remind us of that. Look it up. Read it. It might just enthrall you as it has done me.
Have a superb Sunday.
Let it Glee.

No comments:

Post a Comment